Thursday, April 2, 2015

Would Jesus Have Washed My Feet?

John 13:1-17; 31b-35 (NIV)

13 It was just before the Passover Festival. 
Jesus knew that the hour had come for him 
to leave this world and go to the Father. 
Having loved his own who were in the world, 
he loved them to the end. 2 The evening meal 
was in progress, and the devil had already 
prompted Judas, the son of Simon Iscariot, 
to betray Jesus. 3 Jesus knew that the Father 
had put all things under his power, and that 
he had come from God and was returning to 
God; 4 so he got up from the meal, took off 
his outer clothing, and wrapped a towel 
around his waist. 5 After that, he poured 
water into a basin and began to wash his 
disciples’ feet, drying them with the towel 
that was wrapped around him.
6 He came to Simon Peter, who said to him, 
“Lord, are you going to wash my feet?”
7 Jesus replied, “You do not realize now 
what I am doing, but later you will understand.”
8 “No,” said Peter, “you shall never wash 
my feet.” Jesus answered, “Unless I wash you, 
you have no part with me.” 9 “Then, Lord,” 
Simon Peter replied, “not just my feet but my 
hands and my head as well!” 10 Jesus answered, 
“Those who have had a bath need only to wash 
their feet; their whole body is clean. And you 
are clean, though not every one of you.”11 For 
he knew who was going to betray him, and that 
was why he said not every one was clean.
12 When he had finished washing their feet, he 
put on his clothes and returned to his place. “Do 
you understand what I have done for you?” he 
asked them.13 “You call me ‘Teacher’ and 
‘Lord,’ and rightly so, for that is what I am. 
14 Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have 
washed your feet, you also should wash one 
another’s feet. 15 I have set you an example 
that you should do as I have done for you. 
16 Very truly I tell you, no servant is greater 
than his master, nor is a messenger greater 
than the one who sent him. 17 Now that you 
know these things, you will be blessed if you 
do them. 31 When he was gone, Jesus said, 
“Now the Son of Man is glorified and God 
is glorified in him. 32 If God is glorified in 
him, God will glorify the Son in himself, and 
will glorify him at once. 33 “My children, I 
will be with you only a little longer. You will 
look for me, and just as I told the Jews, so I 
tell you now: Where I am going, you cannot 
come. 34 “A new command I give you: Love 
one another. As I have loved you, so you must 
love one another. 35 By this everyone will 
know that you are my disciples, if you love 
one another.”

Our scripture passage for today invites us into one of the most intimate scenes in the Gospel of John. While the other Gospels, Matthew, Mark and Luke recount the “Last Supper,” the Gospel of John recounts a different meal – a meal accompanied by an incredibly selfless act, washing feet, the focus of our passage today.
Washing feet during Jesus’ time was an important act of hospitality. Normal hospitality included taking guests’ sandals off, washing their feet and sometimes anointing them as well. The detail that sets this occurrence apart, though, is that feet-washing was traditionally the job of a slave. So, we cannot blame Peter too much for his skepticism and rather dramatic reaction in this story when Jesus prepares to wash his feet. While there are many focal points in this text, Jesus exercising power as a servant-leader being a commonly discussed one, the detail that I want to focus on is the motivation behind Jesus’ actions. In John 13:34 Jesus gives his disciples a new command. He tells them to love one another, and that they will be known as his disciples by their love. Surely love was Jesus’ own motivation to wash his disciples’ feet. Perhaps the most beautiful part of this entire story is that, out of love, Jesus chooses to wash ALL of his disciples’ feet – Peter and Judas Iscariot’s feet included. He did this with the knowledge that they were both going to betray him. Jesus sets a pattern for his own disciples here. He shows them what unconditional love looks and how that translates into serving others. This is totally fundamental to the entire Gospel message. Holy week invites us to consider our own betrayal. As we do that this week, let us also consider Jesus’ love for us, for his love is always stronger than our betrayal. Let us take confidence in knowing that despite our sin, Jesus would have also washed our feet. Amen.

Molly Just is the Director of the service-learning team, Discipleship Southwestern, and is alumna of Southwestern.

No comments:

Post a Comment