Thursday, March 5, 2015

It's Not About Me

Psalm 19 (NIV)

1 The heavens declare the glory of 
God; the skies proclaim the work of 
his hands. 2 Day after day they 
pour forth speech; night after night 
they reveal knowledge. 3 They have 
no speech, they use no words; no 
sound is heard from them. 4 Yet their 
voice goes out into all the earth, 
their words to the ends of the world. 
In the heavens God has pitched a tent 
for the sun. 5 It is like a bridegroom 
coming out of his chamber, like a 
champion rejoicing to run his course. 
6 It rises at one end of the heavens and 
makes its circuit to the other; nothing 
is deprived of its warmth.
7 The law of the Lord is perfect, 
refreshing the soul. The statutes of the 
Lord are trustworthy, making wise the 
simple. 8 The precepts of the Lord are 
right, giving joy to the heart. The 
commands of the Lord are radiant, 
giving light to the eyes. 9 The fear of 
the Lord is pure, enduring forever. The 
decrees of the Lord are firm, and all of 
them are righteous.
10 They are more precious than gold, 
than much pure gold; they are sweeter 
than honey, than honey from the 
honeycomb. 11 By them your servant is 
warned; in keeping them there is great 
reward. 12 But who can discern their 
own errors? Forgive my hidden faults. 
13 Keep your servant also from willful 
sins; may they not rule over me. Then I 
will be blameless, innocent of great 
transgression.
14 May these words of my mouth and this 
meditation of my heart be pleasing in 
your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.

While reading the first several verses of this chapter I kept thinking that God is just so amazing, everything that He created is in constant awe and praise of His awesome power. It got me thinking about how I live my life and if I live in the constant state of awe and Praise that He deserves. Everything that God does, He has done because He loves me and He will never stop loving me. Through all of my struggles and sins of this life He is constantly there with me. That is what this passage reminded me of. Everything that is in The Lord is pure and righteous so everything that I do for Him should be pure and righteous. That is easier said than done, but when you think about it, nothing could be simpler. Verse 7 says that “The law of the lord is perfect, refreshing the soul” when I remember that a perfect God gave me perfect laws to follow through his perfect son by perfect love, living a pure and righteous life comes as easy as it gets. It is when I look to the world or myself for guidance that I stray from the path. The point that I am trying to get at from this scripture is that everything in the universe was made by a perfect God and everything that is in the universe worships Him for all eternity. So why on earth would I not want to join in on the greatest party that is ever going to happen? Spending my entire life praising God with all that I have and all that I am seems like the best possible way one can spend his or her life. Christ gave his life so that I may live, the least I can do is live that life in a way that would bring Him all the Glory. After all, it isn't my life I’m living in the first place, He lives through me.

Robert Hernandez is a junior majoring in History and secondary education.

No comments:

Post a Comment